The Goats Cheese Challenge Part 2 – Potted Smoked Mackerel
In our house, we religiously have smoked mackerel pate every Saturday (well, almost). I don’t know why, it’s just one of those things. Sometimes with bread, oatcakes, crackers, salad it just depends. So, I was keen to try Potted Smoked Mackerel with Goats Cheese and Chives to see if we could move into a slightly braver, bolder world. A word of warning I have tried every smoked mackerel fillet in all leading food retailers and the only one that doesn’t have bones or excess fatty bits is Marks & Spencer. Believe me, I’ve tried but nothing is worse than finding bones in pate’s or in this case….
Potted Smoked Mackerel with Goats Cheese and Chives
2 x 100g Goats Cheese
90g flaked smoked mackerel
1 loaf ciabatta, baguette or what ever takes your fancy that can be toasted
Handful of chopped chives
1/2 teaspoon horseradish sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place flaked mackerel in a bowl
2. Dice and add Goats cheese, season with pepper and (salt if you really have to)
3. Add chives and horseradish
4. Cut a wedge from the lemon and set aside. Juice and zest the remaining lemon, add to the bowl and mix well. Divide into ramekins,
5. Slice the bread, cutting three small slices for each person, and lightly toast. Serve with the potted mackerel and lemon wedge.
6. Eat and enjoy
How did we get on? I liked it, the others weren’t so keen. Will post our recipe soon.